Wednesday, 30 September 2026

relationships (Mark 10:32-40) Remaining Dependent

(Mark 10:32-40)

32 Now they were on the road going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking on ahead of them; and they were amazed, and those who followed were fearful. And again He took the twelve aside and began to tell them what was going to happen to Him, 33 saying, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and will hand Him over to the Gentiles. 34 And they will mock Him and spit on Him, and flog Him and kill Him; and three days later He will rise from the dead.”

35 James and John, the two sons of Zebedee, came up to Jesus, saying to Him, “Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You.” 36 And He said to them, “What do you want Me to do for you?” 37 They said to Him, “Grant that we may sit, one on Your right and one on Your left, in Your glory.” 38 But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?” 39 They said to Him, “We are able.” And Jesus said to them, “The cup that I drink you shall drink; and you shall be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized. 40 But to sit on My right or on My left is not Mine to give; but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.”

TODAY'S TAKEAWAY:

These people and the disciples had just heard Jesus talk to the rich man who assumed he was going to inherit eternal life.  And now we see these people amazed and fearful as they continued their journey following Jesus.  The Greek word for  "amazed" includes being stupefied with surprise, being astounded, astonished, and even terrified and frightened.  The Greek word for "fearful" includes being passively alarmed, frightened, sorely afraid, seized with alarms...and can also include a person who reveres or is in awe of.

I'm assuming that the people were mulling over everything that they had just heard.  But did they hear everything that was said?  Like, if they only heard that it is impossible for a rich man to inherit salvation- then- they would be left feeling confused, hopeless and fearful.  But if they heard that all things are possible with God, then one should be filled with a reverent "fear"- having a great respect.  

Of course, if we get ahead of ourselves, we might start inserting ourselves into the equation too much.  What I mean by that, is, yes, with God working for us, in us, with us and through us, He will accomplish great and mighty things.  But let's not forget that it is GOD in all of this, and He deserves all the credit and the glory.

Even when we believe in Jesus, we will struggle with pride and arrogance.  Even after hearing what Jesus was going to do, James and John assumed that they were also ready and worthy of such a great status.  Be careful what we pray for!  I have to confess that I once asked God to open my eyes to ALL human needs around me- because- I- could handle it.  wow.  I could not.  I became so overwhelmed, I fell into a depression.  And of course, at the time, I didn't know why I felt so far away from God.  It took about half a year to get back to trusting God in all aspects of life.  And i
t took many years for me to realize that I really had brought all of that upon myself!

The cup that Jesus mentioned refers to the cup of judgment, which only makes sense, because Jesus was about to go to the cross, to take on all sin, of all time, for all people, and go through the death and punishment that we all deserve!  The baptism that Jesus mentioned refers to being immersed- submerged- and overwhelmed- with the persecutions of His crucifixion. Later, James was the first of the twelve apostles martyred.  While John, who was the only one who lived to an old age, did suffer extreme persecution and banishment.

We are never promised a perfect life here on earth.  There will be struggles, issues and trials.  But because all things are possible with God, there will be blessings that come from remaining dependent on the Lord, and enjoying a close, personal relationship with Him.  One might be tempted to walk away from their faith to do it on their own, thinking that they will have more success in avoiding pain.  But... we live in a fallen, broken and sinful world.  Who is more reliable, able and powerful?  Ourselves?  Or the Lord God who, because of His great love for us, suffered and died in our place, to have victory over death and sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

relationships (Mark 10:32-40) Remaining Dependent

(Mark 10:32-40) 32 Now they were on the road going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking on ahead of them; and they were amazed, and those ...