Monday, 17 August 2026

relationships (Mark 1:29-31) Loving and Serving

(Mark 1:29-31)

29 And immediately after they left the synagogue, they entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 Now Simon’s mother-in-law was lying sick with a fever; and they immediately spoke to Jesus about her. 31 And He came to her and raised her up, taking her by the hand, and the fever left her, and she served them.

TODAY'S TAKEAWAY:

I love the fact that Simon (Peter) cared about and loved his mother-in-law.  When believers are dating, and then married, consider God's love for everyone, not just for the loveable, but for the unlovable.  And I'm NOT saying that all in-laws are unlovable, but we can go into family dynamics and with a selfish, self-centered attitude that will start a chain of responses, which will deeply impact the way we get along with others.  And this is will deeply hurt our significant other.

If God's commandment about loving all people doesn't change our behavior, consider this... If we say we love someone, we should be loving those whom they love!  If we start some sort of "war" or exacerbate tensions with the in-laws, I promise you, you are setting yourself up for misery.  And think of it this way, when we love the in-laws, we gain yet another loving, supportive family!

I also really love the disciples' trust in Jesus and their response time.  They "immediately" went to Him ".  How often is this our last resort - to go, talk to God about our issues, and ask Him for help, wisdom and guidance, no matter how big or small the issue?!  God wants to be involved with our lives, 100% of the time.  That's how much He cares!  And He is able!

Now, I really love the mother-in-law's response time and her love for Jesus.  A fever is never good, especially when one is older.  It most likely indicates that there is an infection, and without antibiotics, it can be weeks before one is fully recovered.  So, after being healed, the mother-in-law might have said, "I was just really very sick, and I need some recovery time...get my bearings..."  Instead, she immediately gets to serving.

I'm now thinking the topic of gender-specific-roles needs to be addressed here.  This verse is NOT saying that men should not be in the kitchen.  Throughout the Bible, we see men cook and serve!  Just to name a few:  Abraham, Esau, Jacob... Those men all knew their way around "the kitchen".  

In my marriage, we discussed how much work we were doing outside of the home, and divided up the housework accordingly.  Then, when and if it changed, we went back to the drawing board.  And at my insistence of being a stay-at-home-mom, no matter how poor we got, which came at a point in time when my husband's job had him working long, long hours, I tried to pick up the slack wherever and however I was able.  I don't mind taking out the garbage or mowing the lawn... my husband is working really hard, long hours in order to provide for us!!!  

Even then, after a difficult day, when my husband would come home, and if he saw that I was struggling to get supper ready, he stepped in and helped.  As well, he NEVER saw it as a "chore" to spend time with the kids.  He knew our children needed their father's attention!  He knew that it was necessary to nurture a loving relationship with them, as well as with me.  And by now, as empty-nesters, my husband has claimed the kitchen!  He finds cooking cathartic, which is the opposite for me.  So I will gladly pick up the slack somewhere else!  So, never look at it as a 50-50 kind-of-thing.  When we choose to serve one another 100%, then we both are served 100%.  And don't look at it selfishly, as if and how we are being served.  Look at it as - how can I be serving?!

In God's economy of finances, time and energy, we are to be generous in our loving and serving the Lord, and one another.  Life is work!  Not just to survive with a roof over one's head, clothes on one's back, and food in one's stomach... relationships require work.  A relationship that works - is the one where both parties are working at it, always.  And putting our personal relationship with the Lord first in our lives, will help us in all other relationships.  The closer we all get to the Lord, the closer we will get to each other.  The Lord God is there to help us with everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

relationships (Mark 1:29-31) Loving and Serving

(Mark 1:29-31) 29 And immediately after they left the synagogue, they entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 Now Si...